Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I've been crabby and impatient the last few days dealing with the end-of-pregnancy body blahs, but I'm still very thankful for many things in my life. This list is not really in order, but here we are:
1. Always and forever, I am thankful to Min Gi, who continues to surprise me with his patience, concern, love, and growth. He's about to be the best damn dad in the whole world to our little one--I can tell.
2. I am thankful for the closeness I've had with my family this year. My family is not always easy to get along with up close, but the last year has been one of a surprising increase in the depth and quality of my relationships with each of my immediate family members. Most especially my mother, who at one time I believed I could never have the kind of close relationship I desired. Do they still drive me nuts? Sure. But we are all in a very good place these days. It was unexpected.
3. I am very thankful for my mental health recovery. Being depressed sucks (so y'all know).
4. Despite the discomforts of the last few weeks, I'm thankful that my first time ever being pregnant has been so healthy and successful. I know not everyone gets that, so even though I have griped and dealt with negative hormonal surges, I've been pretty darn lucky overall.
5. I am thankful that I found a job I love and believe in and feel valued and competent. This probably has contributed to #3 more than anything else. I am thankful to my co-workers and for the opportunity that came about at such a fortuitous moment in my life. And extremely thankful about how supportive they have been of my transition to motherhood.
6. I am very thankful for friends near and far who have been patient with my funk earlier in 2011 and, despite largely electing to be childless themselves (so far for some), tolerant of my increasing baby-brain-ness. I am thankful for the new friends I've made who are already moms (and some old friends who have grown close again because of this) and have been helping me through a lot of this.
7. I am thankful for Min Gi's family who support us immeasurably from Korea. I know he misses them a ton and I *will* find a way for us to visit them next spring or summer.
8. I am thankful for the strides we have made this year financially as a family unit. Compared to this time last year, we are in a much better place as far as working together to accomplish monetary goals. We still have a long way to go, and I promise I'll start blogging about this again, but for now, Min Gi and I are just a lot more supportive of each other and a lot more comfortable expressing our true needs than we were. It's pretty awesome.
9. I am thankful for the health of our other two family members--Saja and Princess--who have been through 5 moves in the last two years (one of which was international) and have adjusted stunningly each time. Dear, dear kitties.
10. Everyday, I am more and more thankful for the choices my privileged life allows. I become more aware of them as I grow older, and sometimes it's hard to think about how lucky I am because of the difficulties I see, but overall, I'm a very lucky, lucky person.