Thursday, September 8, 2011

Flashback Travel: Haeinsa Temple, July 2010

Temple art detail.  I would love to know which Buddhist story this comes from...

During the rainy season in Korea last year, I ventured to Haeinsa Temple with my friend Paul. The miserable rainy weather here reminded me of this trip. Despite the cloudy skies and constant, unpleasant drizzle, it was a pleasant trip to one of my favorite temples.

The Tripitaka Koreana and the reason for this temple's fame.  It's the print panels for a really old and awesome Buddhist text, preserved in traditional wood structures.

I had an epiphany walking this maze back in March 2008 when I came here with another friend.

Check out the full album with lots of cool temple art details:

Haeinsa, 2010

2 comments:

  1. As to the temple art above, it relates the story of Bodhidharma and his first student, Dazu Huike, in which the would-be student cut off his left arm to demonstrate sincerity and then was accepted as student by the famous monk. (for more information, google up Bodhidharma.)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails