Thursday, April 15, 2010

Veggie Wrap with Tofu "Ranch" Dip

This post is about the perfect lunch. It is for Jen and Danielle and anyone else who loves good food.

A story: About two years ago, I was asked to bring veggies and dip to a bachelorette party. Awesome. Except that finding veggie dip in Korea is next to impossible. And finding normal ingredients to make dip, like cream cheese or refried beans (vegetarian, of course) is impossible. Not to mention shopping for the appropriate spices... So I started experimenting with substitutes like tofu instead of cream cheese and some other things. I figured out a recipe that is really easy to make, vegan, and pretty much universally popular. I've been breaking it out for parties since then.

This week, having finished the burritos I cooked and having half a pack of tortilla wrappers still in the fridge, I thought that making a veggie wrap using this "dip" as a sauce might be awesome. It was. So first... how to make Tofu "Ranch" Dip:

Ingredients
1 package tofu (I like organic)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
5-8 cloves of garlic (depending on how much of a garlic fan you are)
salt
black pepper
2 tbsp (approximate... I don't actually measure) olive oil (extra virgin if you can)
2 stalks of green onion
Optional: Other herbs/spices, such as parsley, oregano, and basil, as you like; I tend to use what's in the cupboard if I have it. These are not necessary, but can add a nice flavor.

Directions
Blend tofu, onion, garlic, olive oil, and spices until smooth.
Chop (I use kitchen scissors) the green onion into little pieces and put in the dip. Blend with a spoon.

Voila! Simple, vegan, and everybody loves it (I assure you... even people who normally think tofu is gross).

To make it a wrap:

Warm one tortilla.
Chop up some veggies you like and stir fry them (I used onions, mushrooms, and red pepper here).
Add 1-2 tbsp of the Tofu "Ranch" Dip to the tortilla.
Place some lettuce and a chopped up tomato on top.
Add the stir fried veggies. And maybe some Parmesan cheese like I did today... mmm.

Enjoy!

The dip took about 15 minutes to make and the wrap another 15 minutes beyond that. You'll have plenty of dip leftover for more wraps later in the week. Or get some carrots, cucumbers, and celery and go to town with raw veggies. It's awesome!

Feel free to mix up the veggies as you like. I'm thinking that eggplant and zucchini would be good stir-fried. Or you could do an all raw veggie wrap with cucumbers and carrots (and raw onions). You could replace the lettuce with spinach or add chicken (if you eat meat, of course). So many delicious options. I'm sure I will try them all...

2 comments:

  1. OMG thanks for this.........I've got 2 wraps left and I'm going to smear them with tofu goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if anyone is craving a tortilla RIGHT NOW, the recipe for the chewy tortillas is AMAZING.

    http://www.texascooking.com/features/sept98flourtortillas.htm

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails