Sunday, March 28, 2010

Good Reads from the Blogging World This Week #1

I've been reading a lot of good stuff on blogs, so I thought I'd share some of my favorites from this week with you!

First up, Jason of Kimchi Icecream posted about Cultural Taboos and Native English Teachers in South Korean Public Schools, which is a must-read for teachers new to Korea. He summarizes many of the things I've had to learn "the hard way," such as why work parties are important and how it is best not to be so confrontational, and includes some humorous vignettes of his own mistakes.

Next, Ask a Korean! scores big for directing my attention to two different stories of great interest to me: a humorous article about the history of famous Asian Men-Western Women couplings from another blog, Yellow Fever! The Definitive History of Asian Men Dating Outside Their Race, and a Wall Street Journal article about a swing tribute band that played at Japanese internment camps during World War 2, A Tribute Band Like No Other Swings to Remember Life Behind Barbed Wire.

Dating in Korea's Grace lays the smack down on white male expats who feel the need to aggressively object to Western women dating Korean men in A rant on you, Mr. White Guy. Rock on! Reminds me of my own trouble with that demographic back when I was dating.

In non-Korea-related blogs, Everett Bogue who writes a minimalist living blog, Far Beyond the Stars, wrote some great advice about making money from blogging, The Simple Guide to Making Money Online. While I don't really intend to make money off Going Places, I am interested in using my blog as a platform for launching my writing career in other ways and his suggestions are quite useful for that purpose as well.

Share in the online love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails