Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What's for dinner?

As I said in my previous post, I'm really enjoying cooking healthy meals for my biggest fan, Min Gi. However, cooking in Korea can be a lot of scouring for ingredients and finding deliciously acceptable substitutions. My creations are usually veggie-heavy and a mix of different cooking techniques and various spices I've accumulated in my kitchen (most are from Costco or the Global Market next to Keimyung University--they have so many Indian ingredients and Southeast Asian stuff--it is AWESOME).

This week, I made my second attempt a Spanish-style lentil stew, loosely based on this recipe. The first had come out a little bitter (perhaps not enough tomatoes and too much vinegar). However, this batch was AWESOME--I wish I'd taken pics, but it was so delicious, we just ate it all.

So what's for dinner tonight?

Vegetable Curry.


I fried up an onion and some mushrooms with garlic and tons of Indian spices (curry powder, coriander, turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon), then boiled it in a small amount of water with some cubed potatoes, carrots, and zucchini. I added broccoli and tomatoes a little later, transferred it back to the fry pan and cooked until the broth was thicker.

The result? Delicious.


Now if only Min Gi will show up to help me eat it! Darn him and working later and farther away than me!!!

2 comments:

  1. That look delicious. I am a huge fan of curry based foods. Do you happen to know if they have the Madras curry powder at that Global Market you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lola,

    Um... it's hit and miss with foreign ingredients in Korea. You can't count on particular brands of anything. There are some curry powders and turmeric and different spices. But you're planning to be in Seoul. I think it's easier to find international products there than in my little corner of Daegu!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails