Friday, May 8, 2009

Dirty, dirty streets of Korea...

"Wow, I really like your shoes," said my boss as we were on our way into the restaurant for lunch. She was admiring my red slipper-style beach shoes. "Where did you get them?"

"Vietnam. They were only $3."

"So cheap!"

"Yes, and real silk, too."

***

William and I are walking home from work later. All of a sudden, I'm not in my right shoe anymore.

They're broken. I was in shock. Last time shoes broke on me in Korea, I was wearing socks, so it wasn't a big deal. After suggesting I tie them up with string we found on the road, William tolerated my walking home with only one foot shod.

I would not recommend walking barefoot to anyone in Korea. Ever.

After less than ten minutes. It took me longer to wash off my foot than it did to walk home.

4 comments:

  1. Eeeeeeeew!!! I hope you avoided the gobs of spit while you walked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do Koreans use foot brushes? They work really well (at least for red dirt).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given the open sewers we have here in Jindo, the thought of going barefoot is kind of terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!!
    Diana, i'm your student.
    i found your blog accidentally through google. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails