Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Update from Vietnam

So far, I have...

...seen an extremely unique form of perfomance art--water puppets.
...slept on a boat in Ha Long Bay, after kayaking around caves and swimming in the salty, still water.
...honored Ho Chi Minh with my silent walk around his well-preserved body (complete with face that still looks like it's plotting evil deeds).
...made friends with Germans, Malaysians, Danes, Australians, a Canadian, a Scot, and another American.
...spoken in Korean with a couple of Vietnamese guys who used to work in Daejeon.
...been bitten by too many mosquitoes to count.
...eaten too much good food to list.
...bartered with shopkeepers.
...narrowly avoided motorbikes on the busy streets of Hanoi; barely escaping with my life.
...climbed a mountain in a national jungle preserve on Cat Ba island.
...read most of Obama's first book.
...become addicted to Vietnamese style coffee.
...generally been having a grand old time and taken lots of pictures of it all that I will share when I return to Korea.

Tonight is my last in Hanoi. I will visit a pagoda tomorrow and then move on to the ancient cities of Hoi An and Hue via overnight train. I will come back to Hanoi for my last afternoon here (for present shopping and possible spa visiting).

3 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to see water puppets live! I've only seen video of it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the BEST thing I did in Hanoi proper (I think the Ha Long Bay trip counts as outside Hanoi). But as you know, I have a thing for puppets.

    I also took some video and pictures. I will be uploading them and blogging in more detail upon my return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a wonderful adventure. I am doing well and may be headed home on Tuesday.

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails