Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Sick Food Adventures; Best Boyfriend Award.

For the last four days, I've had a nasty little cold that keeps seeming like it's going away and then coming back with a vengeance. Yesterday I went to a doctor who gave me the standard Korean packet of mixed pills, offered me a shot in the butt (which I politely declined), and sent me on my merry way. This morning I woke up sicker than ever. I don't know if the meds are making me worse or if the sinus infection just now developed or what, but I had to call in sick.

Not wanting to drag my half-dead fanny out of my apartment but needing some kind of nourishment left me in a quandary. Although my Korean has probably been good enough to order food for myself for some time, I've resisted trying for fear of looking like an idiot. Today hunger and haziness trumped the potential embarrassment, so I ordered some 수제비, a kind of wheat "noodle" and egg soup that is good for me when I'm sick. It came in about 15 minutes and it was delicious. Go Diana Korean skillz.

A little later, two of my co-workers came by my apartment to bring me 호박죽, a kind of pumpkin rice porridge from a fancy traditional Korean restaurant. It was amazing. How wonderfully sweet of them. As I was already full from lunch, I will even have some leftover for tomorrow. I would have eaten it for dinner, but Min Gi came over to take care of me. And to make me food.

That's right. Now he cooks.

Here he is, cooking in my tiny kitchen, with all the ingredients he brought over.


Pasta and Salad. Yummy. But WAY too much food. Leftovers?


He's so proud of himself.


And, of course, I appreciate it, too. You have to understand that Korean culture is pretty set against men cooking as a general rule. They live with their moms who cook for them until they get married and then their wives do. Min Gi has taught himself quite a bit in the last two weeks (when he decided he wanted to learn how to cook). I am very impressed. I hereby grant him the Best Boyfriend Award.

It was so much fun, we've decided to cook for each other every week. Next week it's my turn. Hello burritos!

I'm still not well in body, but all this happy food and love has made me much better in spirit.

1 comment:

  1. You know, your Korean doesn't have a monopoly on cooking excellent cuisine! My man can whip up several yummy dishes, including a delicious homemade tiramisu! But, I do know how rare it is to have at your fingertips a Korean man who cooks! Glad to see you get to enjoy the perks.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails