Monday, November 17, 2008

Distressing...

Oh my god!

More Korean men are now obese than American men.

American obesity rates are hovering just above 30%, but today I read an article that puts 36% of Korean men in the obese category. (Do check out that second article link for an illustration of the Korean idea of "obesity"... notice the man in the picture is NOT Korean).

So where are they hiding all the fattys? Look again, my dears.

Most US news sources will explain that Body Mass Index (BMI), a number calculated from your height and weight used to determine risk of weight-related diseases, has four major categories. Under 18 (or 20 depending on the source) is considered underweight; 18-25 is considered healthy or normal weight; 25-29 is considered overweight; and over 30 is classified as obese (over 40, severe and morbid obesity).

Although the uses of BMI vary from country to country, these guidelines are in line with the World Health Organization (WHO) standards for BMI measurements.

From the Korea Times article:

"Those whose body mass index (BMI) ― a statistical measurement comparing a person's weight and height ― is over 25 are categorized as obese, and those with a BMI over 30, as hyper-obese."


Hahaha.

No wonder I'm so fat here. I'm not just "overweight," ladies and gentlemen, I'm "obese."

1 comment:

  1. I was cracking up when I read the article. I kept thinking they made a mistake with the BMI percentage. Hahahaha, 25%?! That's crazy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails