Friday, October 17, 2008

Whoops...

I just died and came back to life. Sorry about that!

No, really. For the last few days I've been shaking the nastiest little cold I've had my whole time in Korea. I even took the day off Monday, which I rarely do here, and slept all day because I was too exhausted to do anything else. On top of which, work has been super busy because we were preparing for a special observation day that happens in about two weeks. (It's going to be awesome! My students are going to do a mock-trial based on "The Tell-Tale Heart" by Edgar Allan Poe. They have to decide whether he should be executed or whether he is not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect. Rocking!)

Plus, Gong Bi is freaking out over my being president of the swing club because I haven't appointed the other leaders of the club (I have talked to some people I'd like to help me, and they are considering it, as it does require some work on their part). Gong Bi is a man who worries incessantly and unnecessarily. So he called me, panicked, on Tuesday, while I was teaching an evening class. I tried to call him back, but he didn't answer. When I finally got in touch with him on Wednesday, he sounded like he was going to have a heart attack (now that may have also been from attempting to speak English on the phone... even though he knows I can understand most of what he has to say in Korean), so I skipped taekwondo once again (Monday I was sick; Tuesday I was teaching) to reassure him that everything will be ok. He is reassured. Plus I got to meet up with my friend Lena for dinner. We used to live in the same neighborhood last year, but now I'm on the other side of town and she is in a fancy-schmancy posh 48-pyeong penthouse downtown.

Oh yeah... and she's married. She eloped (sort of) about two months ago with the American guy she's been dating for about three years. Her family was shocked, but the fancy apartment has helped assuage their fears that their eldest is marrying a foreigner (horror of horrors).

So Thursday, my failure to do any kind of physical activity for about five days in a row combined with my illness and stress from the job and personal stuff put me in a funk. I feel so guilty every time I miss taekwondo. I feel like I'm letting my studio down. But the time takes a HUGE bite out of my evenings (9 p.m. to 10 or 10:30 p.m.). Enough that I can't really do anything before it or after it. I was actually so down I was thinking about quitting altogether.

Enter Amanda and William to the rescue. They pointed out that I could just cut back to three days a week. The idea made me happy enough that this is something that must have been really bugging me because I felt an enormous release of pressure. I talked to Kwangjangnim and he said ok, especially because I promised to work out every day I don't go to taekwondo (yay gym membership!).

Finally--I can still do taekwondo, but have some time to spend doing other things at night AND I no longer feel guilty if I don't do it.

Awesome.

The workout last night KILLED. It was all jumping drills. Followed by jumproping (I had to do 500 times, most of the other boys did 1,000 in about the same time frame... god I'm slow). But afterwards, sore as my body was, I felt AMAZING.

So today, I am well. Finally. After about a week of fogginess. It feels pretty good.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diana,

    Are you just another reader? Well I'm just another reader of your site too ;)

    Hehe!!!! I love your writing style. Keep posting

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails