Sunday, June 1, 2008

I don't think that word means what you think it means...

Min Ki introduced me to a friend a little while ago. The first time I met this guy--a musician and a student who used to bar tend on occasion--he shook my hand and said, "Wow, your hands are so soft." Then he had to go home because he, like most other adult Korean males who are not married, lives with his mom, and Mom wanted him home by 2:30 a.m.

The next time I saw him, he was playing guitar and singing. He's good. After he finished he came over to say hello.

"Wow! Beautiful Diana! How are you?"

"I'm great. You play very well."

He puts his hand to his chest and gets a look on his face like I just told him he won an Oscar. After prematurely congratulating me on my relationship with Min Ki (we've been dating a bit, but nothing definite) and then wishing us many future babies, he proceeds to spend about 20 minutes elaborating on Min Ki's good qualities: "He's so strong! When we arm-wrestle I can do nothing!" "He has... how do I say this?... a moustache on his chest." (chest hair--rare in Koreans) He also mentioned that Min Ki is a "virgin" with a "pure heart."

"Really?" I ask.

"Yes, me too."

"You're a virgin with a pure heart?" Eyebrow raised.

"Of course." A few minutes later. "How did Min Ki get so lucky to win the heart of such a beautiful woman? Did he tell you that you must be tired?"

"Why am I tired?"

"Because you have been in my dreams. Running all night."

"Oh my god. Seriously? You studied English pick up lines?"

"Not at all. This is how I really feel. Do you have a phone? I need to call my mom and tell her I just met the woman I love."

I'm laughing too hard to respond, at which point Min Ki comes over. I try to explain to him what a "pick-up line" is and how his friend has studied them. I am not exactly successful, so when he walks away the musician says, "See? He is a virgin. He has a pure heart."

"And you, too, right?"

"But of course! Wow! Your hair is so beautiful. Golden hair! I would give you $1,000,000 for two centimeters of your hair. But I think Min Ki would kill me if I did."

"You are the most 바람둥이 man I've ever met." (Korean word literally means "wind person" but it means a kind of player, so maybe as easy as the wind)

"No, no. Not at all. I am a virgin. I have a pure heart!"

"I think someone might have given you a bad translation of that word..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails