Friday, January 4, 2008

Intensives; PSA for expats; Bad news

Gwen came home from her two month long sojourn to America this weekend. Yay! I had missed her lots--I think everyone did because the mood at Oedae seems to have lifted substantially despite the beginning of intensive classes.

The school year just ended, so the little ones are "free" until sometime in late February or early March. You see, in Korea, when students have a break from school, they don't actually stop studying. They fill the time with extra classes at their private academies (hakwons). The school where I teach, for example, offers extended daily classes from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in addition to the regular afternoon classes. So I am now teaching in the mornings and the evenings. It's a long day. I'm teaching three morning classes--right when I should be doing taekwondo.

My goal was to figure out how to do at least three days a week at my gym, but it looks like Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6 p.m. (with a real class of other children!) are going to be the only times I can go, and that's only because Gwen took my 6:55 p.m. class for this month. I plan to use this time then to work on cardiovascular conditioning by introducing running three days a week to compensate for my lack of exercise. If I can't hack it in the cold, I'll buck up and join the local gym for a month. Who knows what interesting experiences I could have at the Korean gym? Maybe I'll join it just for S&Gs... and your entertainment, of course, blog reader.

Right now my schedule for work kind of sucks (there are people with worse schedules, I know, but I'm not a huge fan of mine)--especially on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. However, I will theoretically get overtime pay, and I'm getting all teacher-dork excited about the classes I have for intensives. The kids are cool and I know from before that seeing students everyday instead of a few times a week really makes a class a more productive learning environment.

***ATTENTION DAEGU EXPATS***
In other news, despite fighting a cold and stressing over some unfinished projects and too much to do, I'm organizing an English book exchange downtown on Sunday. So if you want to participate, shoot me an e-mail and I'll let you know the details. A lot of people seem very interested so maybe this will become a regular thing. That could be cool.

And then... I got some bad news from home last night. Dad's health seems on the downward spiral, but at least he has the right diagnosis now. Sarah had a health scare and wound up in the emergency room. She seems to be alright now, but they're running some outpatient tests. I miss my little sister. I can't even write about this right now or I'll have to think about it again.

Now to prep for the weekend and finish all the unfinished tasks and chores from the last few oh-so-busy weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I hope your dad and Sarah are okay.

    -Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet,

    Turns out they are fine. I miss you! I need to call you sometime. When works for you?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails