Sunday, November 25, 2007

Too much downtown at night...

Makes Diana tired.

I had a lot of fun this weekend. And I have a scar on my leg to prove it (my leg got snagged on something metal on the dance floor of Club Monkey, but thankfully I'm up to date on my shots, right?). On Saturday night I attended a charity fundraiser organized by a couple expats who are headed to volunteer in the slums of Nairobi next year and the Daegu Rotary club. They raised over 7,000,000 won! You can read about it here. I really admire what Mel and Tracey are going to do. I've been looking for volunteer opportunities in Daegu because I miss it so much, and I think they're going to get me in touch with some orphanages downtown.

The thing about volunteering here is that technically, my visa wouldn't permit it (which is just exceptionally stupid). I think you can register at immigration and it doesn't cost too much, so I'll see if I can get Gwen to help me with that when she gets back to make it legal. I had mentioned it to her before and she doesn't seem to have a problem with it, so that's cool.

Anyhow, the event was a big party and I ran into lots of people I'd met around the 'gu before and kinda got talked into heading out to a bar after the dinner was over. I met some girls from Busan at the event who I ran into later on in the streets and they were gonna stay up until the morning train, so I decided to stay out with them and show them around a few places (with my lovely directional prowess--sigh, we only got lost once or twice). They were awesome cool people and it was good times. I ended up at Burger King after all the bars closed and had the first french fries I've had in 3 months. They taste better in memory.

Between Wednesday, Friday and Saturday last week, I'm turning into one of "those" expats... except I don't drink that much. It was fun and all, but gross! I think it was the holiday and winter--it's putting me on edge.

So, I started checking out temple stay options when I woke up on Sunday. I need some peace and culture.

Taekwondo this morning felt amazing. Sa Beom Nim had me go through each of the 4 forms I've learned at this point. I hadn't done the first one in awhile and I can really feel the difference in my own strength from the past few months and comfort with the actions compared to when I first learned it. The movement felt crisp and powerful and I was lighter on my feet and stronger in my punches. I love it! Why hadn't I done this before?

2 comments:

  1. Hey - This guy (who is back in the US now) used to volunteer at an orphanage in Banyawol. I'll see if I can get some info for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane! I sent him a note on myspace.

    God I love the internet...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails