Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Abroad.

I am grateful for so many things and people this year, I'm bound to forget someone, so I apologize in advance, because I am ever so grateful that people out there read this blog, so thank you gentle reader!

Focusing on this last year, I am grateful...
* to my parents. They have been supportive in surprising and amazing ways this last year--through all of my crazy transitions and mind changing.
* for my amazing little sister who is almost an adult, which delights and scares the crap out of me at the same time.
* that my brother seems to be doing better and that our relationship is the best it's been in maybe 6 years.
* for my amazing friends "back home" who have e-mailed me, left notes on my blog and facebook, and called me over here. It's so incredible to hear from you guys; it makes it a little easier to not be able to see you.
* for the 8 months I worked at the suicide/crisis hotline and the folks who worked there. Some of the best experiences of my life. I'm thinking about starting some volunteer work over here soon, I miss it so much.
* to all the people in Korea (and Gwen & Jane who are not in Korea at this time, but fall in this category) who are awesome and have helped make this a fantastic experience so far.
* for my friends and professors from my grad school program who have supported my writing in thousands of little ways.
* that Roosevelt (and all the wonderful people there) let me go. Sometimes letting people go gracefully is not at all easy. I felt pretty supported throughout the process, for which I will always be happy.
* that I've been able to stay in touch with my theater friends, even though I haven't really done any projects since A Midsummer Night's Dream.
* that I got to speak with/see a lot of my extended family before departure.
* and to my beautiful kitty, who has sat here purring on my lap the whole time I composed this, and who makes my life 100 times better in indescribable, intangible ways.

Last night I felt some antsy restlessness. I blame the fact that today is Thanksgiving--it could easily have been the early stirrings of homesickness. Fortunately, the girl I was supposed to meet downtown a couple weekends ago sent me a text message to ask if I was up for coming out. So I managed to stave off the sad feelings by hanging out downtown for a couple hours the first time on a weeknight. I ended up in a noraebang with a guy from DC who teaches yoga over here and an amazing singer/musician from PG county who works as a base contractor. Someone gave me the nickname "Fun Diana," which may be a first in my entire life. I tend to be more of a dork than a "fun" person, but I usually have a good time.

It was good, but taekwondo was brutal today. I don't think I'll be doing that again for awhile.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! And I always thought you were fun. AND a dork. I mean, we played "HeroClix" together a couple of times. Pretty much my definition of fun and dorky.

    Good combo!

    All the best to you,
    -Dav-

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails