Saturday, November 3, 2007

Oh, Costco...

Living abroad can be a little rough. You are used to being able to find certain goods and products with relative ease. Today, I had burritos again, but let me assure you that gathering all the right materials for the task was not easy. It involved hunting around a lot, flexibility, and several trips to Costco.

There is a Costco in Daegu that is not really accessible by subway. I don't know which bus to take, but since Gwen is now in America, I will probably have to figure that one out pretty quick. At Costco, you can get a lot of products from America that you can't find easily at E-mart and local stores. Like cheese (oh the delicious Pepper Jack on my burrito, I think I may love you!) and cereal bars and the good chocolate:

Five lbs of Hersheys, 32,990 won.


Why does this amuse me so much? Am I just far too easily entertained?

(No, I didn't buy it...)

Trouble with Costco is that, just like in the US, it's a bulk foods warehouse. So even though I wanted just one can of kidney beans, I now have 8. Will I go through 8 in a year? Probably. But it's weird buying them all at once. And just like in the US, it can be a money trap and a huge temptation for someone trying to lose weight. I just avoid the bakery section altogether! I spent almost $100 last time I went. Now, I got some awesome stuff that will help me eat well for awhile and enough cat litter to get Princess through winter, but really... that's a lot more than I normally spend on groceries for myself.

All in all, if you're looking for a taste of home, find a friend with a car and check it out--definitely worth it--but watch out for the Koreans in the food court. They're mean about snagging the raw onions for their pizza and hot dogs. Seriously.

2 comments:

  1. Have the Spam giftsets come out yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They come and go. At Chuseok, they were everywhere. I believe they will come back closer to Christmas and Lunar New Year.

    And Spam is a luxury item. Why, you ask? Well, because it is.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails