Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Lion Monster and Strange Tiger

I have a class of two second grade boys that is the only class I teach every day (the others are MWF or TTh--or something like that). These boys are funny and (usually) sweet--when Dragon is not biting Jason and Jason is not throwing chairs. On Tuesday, they asked if they could draw pictures instead of working on English. I told them that if we got through the lesson first AND they wrote an English story to go with their pictures, it would be ok. This is what they came up with:

Dragon. lion monster. lion monster eats other monster. lion monster is friends with tiger monster. they like to eat meat.


a Jasons. strange tiger. strange tiger eats meet and fish. strange tiger likes a fights red dragon.


I was inspired by these lovely tales and decided to try a story game with my other class of all boys after they finished their lesson (these five are fifth and sixth graders and while they are really great, they make a lot of noise and sound like they are killing each other--it doesn't really help that their favorite English word is "die"). We played the game where I write the first sentence and then each student adds a sentence to it. When I played this with my high school students at Roosevelt, we inevitably made stories that caused me to pray my boss didn't walk by at the wrong time. Apparently, Korea is no different (although at least one of my bosses reads this blog... hi Gwen!):

Once upon a time, there was a boy. The boy was a crazy boy. The boy killed a girl. So the police came to arrest the boy. The girl was Diana teacher. The boy died and went up to the sky. The boy fights God in the clouds. God dies. The boy fights Diana teacher. Diana teacher dies one more time. Diana teacher fights God. Diana teacher wins, but she dies. There is a nuclear explosion. Everybody dies. Except Diana teacher. But there is no food, so Diana teacher is hungry and dies. The boy is happy. Finish.


I'm the star of a bizarre, sacrilegious, anime-inspired, post-apocalyptic, coming-of-age tale. At one point, the weakest student in the class was confused when it was his turn, so the other boys jointly translated the story for him into Korean. It was all rather funny, but I'm not sure I shouldn't be a little worried for my life... Hm...

1 comment:

  1. Those really are great. Sometime in the future, you have to do creative writing with the honors class. Joe and Peter are incredibly funny.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails