Wednesday, August 15, 2007

This book changed my life.

Seriously, if you are a writer (or like me, a would-be writer), you MUST read this book. It is casual and friendly in tone, down to earth, wildly honest, and eminently practical. King is not the most artful of writers out there today, but he has made a living off of his work (a pretty good one at that) and he cares about and loves the life of writing. The book reads like a memoir, but feels like a big old permission slip to go for it, even offering some practical ideas about how to write (lifestyle, not just technique) which are fresh and delightful. Peppered with the stories behind the stories we all love (Delores Claiborne, Misery, and The Shining are some of my favorites), reading this book was like having that wacky cheerleader teacher again--the one who tells you that you CAN do it, that you should, and that writing is something worthwhile and (even, though this part is a little corny in some ways) life-saving.

He even made me feel good about the fact that the primary way I "read" this book was on audiobooks on all my summer road trips. (I just finished re-reading it in paperback--it's a fine piece both ways!) King makes writing fun and seemingly possible. This is just what I needed right now--thanks "Stevie"!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails