Thursday, July 19, 2007

Adventure... and isolation...

Apparently, I was a weirder child than I even remembered. I loved books like Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell that told stories of young women (and sometimes young men) who ended up isolated from society and forced to become independent and make a new life for themselves in difficult circumstances. I've been thinking about this theme and how it may have a slight influence on my upcoming journey to Korea... ya think? Anyhow, in the interest of pursuing this theme in young adult literature, I have been reading this fabulous book by Kirby Larson called Hattie Big Sky. It's about a 16 year old girl who inherits a homestead stake in Montana from her uncle and goes out to claim it with only her cat for company... Hm... Is there any reason I love this book? Well, it's also really cleverly written and it won a Newbery Honor, so I recommend it as a fun afternoon read. Especially if you liked Laura Ingalls Wilder or Louisa May Montgomery as a kid.

Or are just weird and crave alternative to expected society like I do...

1 comment:

  1. My Uncle bought me Island of the Blue Dolphins when I was 10. I love that book. I'm always looking for good reads. Thanks, Diana.

    I'm getting my beach fix next weekend! Sometimes you just gotta grab the bull by the horns. ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails