Thursday, May 10, 2007

Anger

Anger is not an emotion I am comfortable expressing. There are many reasons why I check myself the instant I feel a hint of this complex and often frightening emotion. Over the last few years, I have attempted to integrate it back into my emotional repertoire in healthy and practical ways. Today, I got mad at some students. Very mad, but reasonably so.

There are a few students in one of my classes who will fail English for the year if they fail this quarter. Yet, these kids don't seem to care one way or the other about their grades in my class. One has a 30%; another has a 22%. These grades are so pitifully low that I cannot even pretend to justify giving them a passing grade (generally considered a 60% or higher). Today they got their progress reports. So I pulled them aside to talk to each one individually. Did they express concern over missing tests and homeworks? Not even a little bit.

So I told them that if they can't be bothered about fixing their grade in my class, that I won't bother them anymore. Just write me a letter about how you don't care about this class and are ok with failing, sign it, get your parents to sign it, and you can sit in the back of the room quietly and do whatever else you want for the rest of the year.

I know, I'm a bad teacher... I'm supposed to care... blah, blah, blah. The sad thing is that OF COURSE I care, but I can't care them into magically having assignments that they've chosen to blow off. Students have to meet me halfway here. Please.

When did it become so acceptable in this society to do nothing? And why can't I jump on this bandwagon? (just kidding... I just need to stop beating myself up over imperfections... at least I managed to pass 11th grade English the first time around). Sheesh.

/rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails